Thursday, August 26, 2010

spandex, noise and Idaho Falls....

If I haven't said it once, I have said it a thousand times. Just 'cause you could got away with wearing spandex leggings and a halter top in 1987, doesn't mean you SHOULD now!!!

I just had an enjoyable night at the Sandy Downs Horse Race Track in Idaho Falls, Idaho. Let me tell you how my day went.....

At 9:40, my boss came into my office and placed 2 tickets on my desk and asked if I would be interested in seeing a concert tonight. Concert was Royal Bliss opening for Kip Winger, opening for Warrant opening for Cinderella. I said "heck ya!!! with fingers creating the "devils head" sign.

At 9:45 I called Marcy to tell her my great fortune. She rained on my parade immediately - she had this, that and everything else she had to do.... In other words, it probably wasn't her thing.

At 10:30 I stated on Facebook that I had an extra ticket for the show and trolled for some response. I got lots of offers from people who live LIKE, NOT IN THE SAME STATE!!!

Anyways, by the end of my work day, I had no takers, but being the adventurous soul that I am, I went stag...

I got to the venue at about 7:45 (an hour and 15 minutes after the scheduled start) and caught the last 4 songs of Winger. In other words, I got there when I wanted to. When Warrant hit the stage, it was like a wall of sound just went right through me. I have seen Warrant before, but this line up with this new singer was very good. I actually had to google him to make sure he wasn't the original. (He wasn't, but he was very good.)

The band member's apparel was similar to what you would see at an off campus party. In other words, they were pretty up to date. Some still had long hair, others were closer cropped. They are very talented and I could easily make out the lyrics and the different instruments. (Good Work sound guys). The energy and professionalism of the show was great! I may yet buy a greatest hits CD!

When Warrant finished up with the last song "Cherry Pie", I might add, the roadies went about their chores and got the stage cleared off and ready for Cinderella.

Now, I was first exposed to Cinderella when I was a Junior in High School. I liked them along with every other "Glam Rock" band - Their contemporaries were Motley Crew, Great White, Poison, Guns n Roses, LA Guns, Warrant, etc. Anyways, not my favorite band, but I did own 2 of there cassette tapes before I graduated from High School.

So, not knowing what to expect, I waited entranced for them to take the stage. Big lights - Big Hair - Big outfits - BIG SOUND! I wasn't quite sure what to make of the lead singer. He had this whole "Alice Cooper" look to him with tight black stretch jeans with this red, velour form filling long sleeved shirt with flowing arms from the forearm down. He sang without a look of passion on his face, but with this voice that was oh, sooooo, 1980s! I got into it immediately! It hasn't been since the last Styx concert that I have seen a lead signer do so much guitar work. He played the acoustic, the flat guitar, double neck guitar, Tenor Sax (yes, tenor sax), and electric guitar - all while pulling off that haunting combination of a scream with a pleasant vibrato. The sound took me back. They played all of their hits along with some songs not so familiar to me.

It was a great evening. My ears are still ringing, and I am pretty sure there were some pissed off potato farmers near by as well!

As I started off by saying..... I went to have a good time and listen to some music from my youth. I went in a pair of slacks, leather dress shoes and a Bish's button up shirt. (I came as I was). People who had more than 10 hours notice must have had some time to dig up some of the outfits I saw. Which, as luck would have it leads me to my "What to wear to a concert in 2010 when the last time you saw the band was in 1987" segment.

David's apparel Rule#1 - If your butt cheek hangs lower then the hem of your snakeskin skirt, you probably shouldn't wear it!

David's Apparel Rule#2 - Just 'cause you have your man booby pierced, doesn't mean we all want to see it. (I just wanted to flick it!)

David's Apparel Rule#3 - Showing your saggy, wrinkled breasts to the lead singer (and all those around you) doesn't guarantee you a night to remember. With the amount of alcohol you had in you, I doubt you will remember anything! Oi,ve!

David's Apparel Rule#4 - Vomit does not look good on your outfit!

David's Apparel Rule#5 - If you intend to be hoisted up on your boyfriends shoulders to get a better look at the stage, For the love of all that is good - PLEASE! Wear panties!!!

These are all of my words on this subject.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's just really, really gross. Mental image...shudder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...sounds like i didn't miss a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it sounds like things went about par for the course. Remember our first rock concert? 1. Interesting that our parents would only allow us to go if dad came too. Remember being offered weed about 3 times before we even got to the show? Remember dad staring the guys down? Remember dad packing heat? I remember being disappointed in Van Halen--the sound of the songs sucked. Eddie's solo rock, but I think Sammy had one to many brews. 2. Remember our second concert? )At least it was mine) I was supposed to take Chera as my date, but she dogged out. I took a friend from camp--Derek Clark. Chicago was a great concert. Excellent sound and quality. Really wanted to be holding Chera's hand though. Didn't you take Pam? No weed offers at this one. 2.5. I really wanted to sleep out for Def Leppard tickets with Chera-the parents said no way. Chera said the concert was excellent but slightly distracted by the seat one row down and two seats over--sex in public would have been a shocker. 3. My third concert was summer of 90. Went with Josh Smith to Styx down at the OR state fairgrounds. We drove the red bug. The concert was pretty good, though we were surrounded by weed--thank goodness it was outside. I was ultimately disappointed in that they did not sing their current hit "Show me the way". 4. I made a promise to myself my freshman year at BYU that if Journey ever re-grouped and toured I would go no matter what. Well, December of 1998 was that chance. The venue on Sat was in Seattle--the wife and I and Mason 7 months pregnant putted up to Seattle. It started to snow and things got freekish. I-5 became a parking lot and the overpasses near Boeing field became train wrecks. No way, my whole life waiting and I would be denied the concert while only 5 miles to go. Forget that, move over big cars, the bug puttered through the carnage without even slipping once. The concert--remember meeting us and saying you had good news and bad news? The bad news was that Steve Perry was not touring, the good news was that our tickets somehow made it to 3 row!!! Awesome concert and young Steve Augeri rocked the show! 5. This concert was a sweet gift from the big bro--REO Speedwagon and Styx. REO rocked big time. Styx was good, but could have opened for REO. 6. One Republic--absolutely amazing. Held up in Seattle--was supposed to be a surprise for the wife, but she saw the Ticketmaster receipt on email--dang. So close. Amazing musicians and the sound was just right with ear plugs in. Ahhh concerts.

    ReplyDelete