Sunday, August 22, 2010

... in the limelight.....

I must admit that I don't watch a ton of reality TV. I have liked survivor, seen the bachelor for a season or two, and when it first started, watched "Extreme Makeover Home Edition" a few times. As a builder, I always thought it was a crock that anybody could have the ability to organize, conduct and complete a full tear down and re-build in a week. I am a believer now.

Last Wednesday, a family in our small community of Pocatello got that famous wake up knock on the door, and will have their life changed forever. By mid day Thursday, their home was no more. By 11 am Friday, the forms for the concrete were being stripped and the framing was being started. At 7:30 pm, Saturday night, there was a sheeted, roofed, sheet rocked, home standing where a once burnt out hulk had been.

I can attest that as of Sunday at 7:30 am, this home had all of the finish carpentry installed, cabinetry hung, and prep work for paint on all was ready and the painters were getting started. The siding was 90% done. Not to mention a good portion of the concrete flat work (side walks, driveways) were underway.

How do I know? I was there, baby!

My wife signed me up to be a carpenter for the home. I guess that EMHE does not take "our" word for our skills and leave the specialty trade decisions to the contractors that are responsible for the job. I was not selected. I was on site for 8 hours and didn't lift a hammer, nail gun, sanding block (that was alright) or paint brush. I was the w, w, w, waterboy! And yes, I am tired!

A water tray does a lot for you. I got to see the entire interior of the home. I got to go to the "art" area. I got to go to the catering area. In short, I saw it all!

I have a photo of me with "Jillian" (the bachelorette that is an interior designer), Paul and I (the carpenter guy) and Ed, (Marcy's new dream hunk). (I thought he was hot too!) I guess Ty was at another reveal in Chicago-darn it!

It was well worth the effort. I know that I didn't directly do anything for this family, but lets face it - I got all who were, "High quality H2O!"

As soon as I know, I will post the time of the airing.

2 comments:

  1. Just the fact that you were there volunteering your time, is wonderful, even if you were just the water boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your own way you did A LOt FOR THIS FAMILY. I do watch the show and always figures they had a huge front team go and get all the ideas so they could just show up and go. Do want to know when it airs. Good on you, Marcy and the town of Pokey!

    ReplyDelete