Friday, August 13, 2010

You're kidding, right?

This really bugs.

I got a call last night from a co-worker asking me if yet again, I could give him a ride to work. I don't mind helping someone out on occasion, so I said sure - I will be driving through that area between 8:00 - 8:15. He set the place - the McDonalds parking lot about 1/4 mile from the off ramp. Not convienient, but probably better than asking me to go to his house.

So, at 8:05, I get to the McDonalds and seeing he is not there yet, wait. After 5 minutes, I get annoyed and pick up the phone. The other end says "Hello?" I say "Merle (not his real name), where you at?" He says, "Uh, I'll be there in 10 minutes." I say "That doesn't work for me - we agreed on 8-815" He says - "My child threw up" I say "Were you going to call me? I need to get to work. I have things I need to do." He says "Well, I guess my wife will bring me in. Obviously you are upset - I will put my wife out."

Why is this all my problem? Should I feel bad for being abrupt? When you need a ride from somebody, I feel you should about kill yourself to not put the person giving up his privacy and time out.

Am I a jerk? I drove off. What would you have done? Hit me with some honest feedback.

4 comments:

  1. Ooo - good question.

    I think it's great that you agreed to pick him up. But if people are going to ask for favors like that, they have to be respectful of your time.

    Especially if this was going to make you late for work - that's your reputation and your livelihood, so you have to do what you have to do. If he can't be on time - tough.

    And yes, he should have called you. Before he was late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The person requesting the favor, in this case a ride, has the responsibility to be at the meeting site or to contact you if something else has changed. The unfortunate thing here is that it sets up a weird situation at work and the perception could be that you were harsh etc. I have a certain relative that would make this situation seem completely your fault. These sorts of people live in a parallel universe that does not actually exist. Your co-worker should have had his wife take him to work in the first place. If it is too far, then that family needs to move closer to work. There is a certain entitlement mentality that is running rampant now a days more than usual. These folks need to be allowed to hit rock bottom. Then maybe they will appreciate the assistance from others more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tardiness should not be tolerated. Especially when asking the favor.
    The first problem here is he did not call and say he had a sick child and may be late.
    The second problem is his idea that you were the bad guy for expecting him to be on time. If you set up a time between 8:00 and 8:15, he should be there at 7:55. YOU are doing him the favor. HE should have called if he would be a nanosecond late, especially when the pick up is for work, this was not a social picnic you were going to where arrival time is not importnat.
    Now the problem is you work with him. If he makes you feel uncomfortalbe about the whole event, he is in the wrong. The next time he asks for a pick up, tell him you are living at the camp ground in your RV so you WON'T BE LATE TO WORK. He'll eventually get the message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see asking for a favor and then after the person is nice enough to help out, making things even more inconvenient for them.
    I probably would have just sat there, fuming. You did the right thing. I don't see why the wife couldn't take him to start with!

    The only concern I'd have is how working with him if you're not on the greatest terms would be. I hope he realizes he's at fault.
    Strangely, people have a tendency to do something wrong or rude and then get angry when they're called out. So, I'd be curious about how he treats you from now on.

    ReplyDelete